Development and modification of low nickel content catalysts for dry reforming of methane
Both the Ca Voi Xanh (Blue Whale) gas field in Vietnam and biogas produced in Germany possess comparable high contents of CO2. For further processing, in both cases it is important to find a way to handle the concomitant CO2. One option is the direct production of synthesis gas - a mixture of CO and H2. Accordingly, low content (2.5wt%) but active Ni catalysts supported on Mg-Al mixed oxides were developed and studied for methane dry reforming reaction (DRM). The main scope of this investigation was to design an active catalyst and modify it to avoid quick deactivation caused by coking. The samples in this study were characterised by N2 physisorption (BET) and X-ray diffraction (XRD). The results revealed that our Ni/MgAlOx catalysts show high surface area and good Ni dispersion. Such properties contribute to the high activity of the catalysts already at 500oC. Modification with La3+ significantly increases the resistance toward carbon formation due to its ability for C gasification. Such La.Ni/MgAlOx type catalyst also shows high and stable DRM activity over at least 60 hours with low carbon accumulation at high weight hourly space velocity (WHSV = 170L/(gcat·h)) compared to state-of-art.
2. Peter Weiland. Biomass digestion in agriculture: A successful pathway for the energy production and waste treatment in Germany. Engineering in Life Sciences. 2006; 6(3): p. 302 - 309.
3. Daniel de Graaf, Roland Fendler. Biogas production in Germany. 2010.
4. Trương Minh Huệ, Lê Dương Hải, Nguyễn Anh Tuấn, Nguyễn Thị Hoài Ân. Sản xuất các sản phẩm hóa dầu từ khí thiên nhiên mỏ Cá Voi Xanh. Tạp chí Dầu khí. 2017; 1: trang 55 - 65.
5. Philipp Kolbitsch, Christoph Pfeifer, Hermann Hofbauer. Catalytic steam reforming of model biogas. Fuel. 2008; 87(6): p. 701-706.
6. Takafumi Sato, Takeyuki Suzuki, Mitsuhiro Aketa, Yasuyoshi Ishiyama, Kenichi Mimura, Naotsugu Itoh. Steam reforming of biogas mixtures with a palladium membrane reactor system. Chemical Engineering Science. 2010; 65(1): p. 451 - 457.
7. Nazim Muradov, Franklyn Smith, Ali T-Raissi. Hydrogen production by catalytic processing of renewable methane-rich gases. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 2008; 33(8): p. 2023 - 2035.
8. Shaobin Wang, G.Q.Lu, Graeme J.Millar. Carbon dioxide reforming of methane to produce synthesis gas over metal-supported catalysts: State of the art. Energy & Fuels. 1996; 10(4): p. 896 - 904.
9. A.Serrano-Lotina, L.Rodríguez, G.Muñoz, A.J.Martin, M.A.Folgado, L.Daza. Biogas reforming over La-NiMgAl catalysts derived from hydrotalcite-like structure: Influence of calcination temperature. Catalysis Communications. 2011; 12(11): p. 961 - 967.
10. Martin Tampier, Doug Smith, Eric Bibeau, Paul A.Beauchemin. Identifying environmental preferable uses for biomass resources. 2004.
11. Xiaopeng Yu, Ning Wang, Wei Chu, Ming Liu. Carbon dioxide reforming of methane for syngas production over La-promoted NiMgAl catalysts derived from hydrotalcites. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2012; 209: p. 623 - 632.
12. Zhicheng Liu, Jian Zhou, Kun Cao, Weimin Yang, Huanxin Gao, Yangdong Wang, Hexing Li. Highly dispersed nickel loaded on mesoporous silica: One-spot synthesis strategy and high performance as catalysts for methane reforming with carbon dioxide. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental. 2012; 125: p. 324 - 330.
13. Leilei Xu, Huanling Song, Lingjun Chou. Carbon dioxide reforming of methane over ordered mesoporous NiO-MgO-Al2O3 composite oxides. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental. 2011; 108 - 109: p. 177 - 190.
14. Muhammad Usman, W.M.A.Wan Daud, Hazzim F.Abbas. Dry reforming of methane: Influence of process parameters - A review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2015; 45: p. 710 - 744.
15. Dapeng Liu, Raymond Lau, Armando Borgna, Yanhui Yang. Carbon dioxide reforming of methane to synthesis gas over Ni-MCM-41 catalysts. Applied Catalysis A: General. 2009; 358(2): p. 110 - 118.
16. Haitao Liu, Shunqing Li, Sanbing Zhang, Jianmin Wang, Guojun Zhou, Long Chen, Xiaolai Wang. Catalytic performance of novel Ni catalysts supported on SiC monolithic foam in carbon dioxide reforming of methane to synthesis gas. Catalysis Communications. 2008; 9(1): p. 51 - 54.
17. Lin Zhang, Qian Zhang, Yi Liu, Yi Zhang. Dry reforming of methane over Ni/MgO-Al2O3 catalysts prepared by two-step hydrothermal method. Applied Surface Science. 2016; 389: p. 25 - 33.
18. Y.Kathiraser, Warintorn Thitsartarn, Kesada Sutthiumporn, Sibudjing Kawi. Inverse NiAl2O4 on LaAlO3- Al2O3: Unique catalytic structure for stable CO2 reforming of methane. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 2013; 117(16): p. 8120 - 8130.
19. Hongrui Liu, Dominik Wierzbicki, Radoslaw Debek, Monika Motak, Teresa Grzybek, Patrick Da Costa, Maria Elena Gálvez. La-promoted Ni-hydrotalcite-derived catalysts for dry reforming of methane at low temperatures. Fuel. 2016; 182: p. 8 - 16.
20. Pullur Anil Kumar, Maddigapu Pratap Reddy, Bae Hyun-Sook, Ha Heon Phil. Influence of Mg addition on the catalytic activity of alumina supported Ag for C3H6-SCR of NO. Catalysis Letters. 2009; 131(1 - 2): p. 85 - 97.
21. S.Damyanova, B.Pawelecb, K.Arishtirovaa, J.L.G.Fierro. Ni-based catalysts for reforming of methane with CO2. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 2012; 37(21): p. 15966 - 15975.
22. Devendra Pakhare, James Spivey. A review of dry (CO2) reforming of methane over noble metal catalysts. Chemical Society Reviews. 2014; 43(22): p. 7813 - 7837.
23. Sergey Sokolov, Evgenii V.Kondratenko, Marga-Martina Pohl, Axel Barkschat, Uwe Rodemerck. Stable lowtemperature dry reforming of methane over mesoporous La2O3-ZrO2 supported Ni catalyst. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental. 2012; 113 - 114: p. 19 - 30.
24. Nada H.Elsayed, Nathan R.M.Roberts, Babu Joseph, John N.Kuhn. Low temperature dry reforming of methane over Pt-Ni-Mg/ceria-zirconia catalysts. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental. 2015; 179: p. 213 - 219.
25. Meili Zhang, Shengfu Ji, Linhua Hu, Fengxiang Yin, Chengyue Li, Hui Liu. Structural characterization of highly stable Ni/SBA-15 catalyst and its catalytic performance for methane reforming with CO2. Chinese Journal of Catalysis. 2006; 27(9): p. 777 - 781.
26. Jian Huang, Renxiong Ma, Tao Huang, Anrong Zhang, Wei Huang. Carbon dioxide reforming of methane over Ni/Mo/SBA-15-La2O3 catalyst: Its characterization and catalytic performance. Journal of Natural Gas Chemistry. 2011; 20(5): p. 465 - 470.
27. Won-Jun Jang, Dae-Woon Jeong, Jae-Oh Shim, Hyun-Seog Roh, In Hyuk Son, Seung Jae Lee. H2 and CO production over a stable Ni-MgO-Ce0.8Zr0.2O2 catalyst from CO2 reforming of CH4. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 2013; 38(11): p. 4508 - 4512.
28. Wei Chen, Guofeng Zhao, Qingsong Xue, Li Chen, YongLu. High carbon-resistance Ni/CeAlO3-Al2O3 catalyst for CH4/CO2 reforming. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental. 2013; 136 - 137: p. 260 - 268.
29. Ki-Moon Kang, Hyo-Won Kim, Il-Wun Shim, Ho-Young Kwak. Catalytic test of supported Ni catalysts with core/shell structure for dry reforming of methane. Fuel Processing Technology. 2011; 92(6): p. 1236 - 1243.
30. Mun-Sing Fan, Ahmad Zuhairi Abdullah, Subhash Bhatia. Utilization of greenhouse gases through carbon dioxide reforming of methane over Ni-Co/MgO-ZrO2: Preparation, characterization and activity studies. Applied Catalysis B: nvironmental. 2010; 100(1 - 2): p. 365 - 377.
31. Joung Woo Han, Chanyeon Kim, Jun Seong Park, Hyunjoo Lee. Highly coke-resistant Ni nanoparticle catalysts with minimal sintering in dry reforming of methane. ChemSusChem. 2014; 7(2): p. 451 - 456.
32. Esmond Newson. Catalyst deactivation due to pore-plugging by reaction products. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Process Design and Development. 1975; 14(1): p. 27 - 33.
33. Ji Eun Park, Kee Young Koo, Un Ho Jung, Jin Hyang Lee, Hyun-Seog Roh, Wang Lai Yoon. Syngas production by combined steam and CO2 reforming of coke oven gas over highly sinter-stable La-promoted Ni/MgAl2O4 catalyst. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 2015; 40(40): p. 13909 - 13917.
34. Jun Zhang, NingZhao, WeiWei, YuhanSun. Partial oxidation of methane over Ni/Mg/Al/La mixed oxides prepared from layered double hydrotalcites. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 2010; 35(21): p. 11776 - 11786.
35. Jing Gao, Zhaoyin Hou, Hui Lou, Xiaoming Zheng. Chapter 7 - Dry (CO2) reforming. Fuel Cells: Technologies for fuel processing. Elsevier. 2011: p. 191 - 221.
1. The Author assigns all copyright in and to the article (the Work) to the Petrovietnam Journal, including the right to publish, republish, transmit, sell and distribute the Work in whole or in part in electronic and print editions of the Journal, in all media of expression now known or later developed.
2. By this assignment of copyright to the Petrovietnam Journal, reproduction, posting, transmission, distribution or other use of the Work in whole or in part in any medium by the Author requires a full citation to the Journal, suitable in form and content as follows: title of article, authors’ names, journal title, volume, issue, year, copyright owner as specified in the Journal, DOI number. Links to the final article published on the website of the Journal are encouraged.